Friday, August 3, 2012

More Happy

This morning Lily and I took a walk to the milk-o-mat, which we do every four days to get raw milk, and on the way home she saw something or other and pointed excitedly, saying, ''There it is!'' which in Lily speak is more like dehhh dizz. And in that moment I realized just how much joy I get when she says those words, which are usually only exclaimed when searching for a shoe. Bilingual children tend to start speaking a little later than single language learners since, you know, well, they're learning two languages. So although Lily knows a lot of words in both languages, she still only uses a handful of phrases. They are:
Good night (which until recently was ki-nock), love you (too), bye-bye, and hot dog. Yes, hot dog. A couple of Christmases ago Tomáš and I watched It's a Wonderful Life, and he was amused to learn the phrase hot dog! and went on to write a song wherein Lily sarcastically exclaims, Hot dog! Hot dog! Daddy's gonna play (guitar), hot dog! hot dog! (yawn) I will have to stay... and Bug loves this song, so every time she sees the guitar or a picture of him playing the guitar she says hot dog! (unsarcastically, I might add). She says come here in Slovak, but only randomly to people who are miles away, which is completely adorable. Like yesterday we visited Tomáš at his office and she squealed, ''babka, pod' sen!'' Or in the middle of playing she'll call for her little friend Adamko. When she wants me or Tomáš, she says ''hands,'' and leads us where she wants us to go. And lastly, she says ''let's go!'' in Slovak, which she usually says when she is anxious to get unbuckled from her stroller or carseat, but last week on the way to Babka's house, Tomáš stopped at some railroad tracks and when trying to start on a hill, killed the car, when she quickly exclaimed, ''Po-me!''

So this long-winded explanation was all to say that it got me thinking about the things that are making me happy now. So, without further ado, here are a few:
Piggy tails. By far her cutest style right now.

For months I thought the red marks on her neck were just from laying down, then I realized it's a birthmark and I have it too.

Reminds me of Cindy Lou Who, who was no more than two.

Lily's get-out-of-trouble smile

This building makes me smile whenever we walk by it. I hope everyone paints their balcony a bright color.

Her love of keys

Iced coffees

Regular, yet always surprising donning of the bunny ears.

Reupholstering the bench on the balcony


Happy stripes



Bright and sunny anniversary flowers

Bringing gifts to daddy at work.



No comments:

Post a Comment